Monday 2 August 2010

Gondola, Danshui, and Shida

Yesterday I went to Taipei with two of my Taiwanese co-teachers and my roommate Katie. We started the day at a gondola outside the city that goes between mountain peaks. It is a nice escape from the craziness and crowds of Taiwan, and has a gorgeous view of both the mountains and the city while you are surrounded by trees. After the gondola we headed to Danshui, a spot where a river meets the ocean. There is a boardwalk packed with people and shops, and there are tons of food stands and restaurants. I even saw a street performer making a Bart Simpson puppet dance to Play That Funky Music Whiteboy. After Danshui we headed to the Shida night market and did some serious shopping.


On the train with my co-teachers Linda and Viola
Linda and Viola on the gondola
Me, Linda, Katie, and Viola at a restaurant in Danshui. Apparently it is very traditional to pose in these windows facing the water.
I have been resisting a lot of the fashion since I got here, but I now realize a long shirt and leggings is the most comfortable thing ever and plan on making the most of it. This is my best Taiwanese pose.

Would you like some rock sugar burns a chicken?
Nice view in Danshui. Look at all the shui!
Giant sized ice cream in Danshui.
They are delicate ladies.

3 comments:

  1. Noooo, you gave in to the leggings!!! I am of the opinion that leggings are more popular than they should be because of the following equation: leggings + billowy shirt = less attention drawn to flabby, bulging (beer) belly. They're popular because they make women feel covered up in their trouble areas--I get that. Legging outfits are a young woman's muumuu.

    ReplyDelete
  2. although i do think the leggings outfit looks super cute on you, i can really appreciate Johanna's comment that they are a young woman's muumuu. i like the comment so much i believe i will pass it on to others who wear this style in a polite but firm way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i like the leggings because it is a socially acceptable way to go pantless in public. how can you pass that up?

    ReplyDelete