Wednesday 18 August 2010

Garbage Beach

Taiwan is an island, and a pretty small one at that. Most of the big cities are located in a line along the west coast, meaning at any time you are probably not too far from the ocean (or the Taiwan Straight). I have been here for 9 months, but the only times I have been to the beach have been in the south or up near Taipei. I had heard of a beach close by, but it was always referred to as 'garbage beach' which is not a very inviting name.

Last Saturday me and my roommates decided to take an adventure to this beach and see what it was all about. A lot of my roommates drove scooters, but those of us without transportation hopped in a cab and a general idea of where we were going. We had a piece of paper with a few key words in Chinese like 'beach' and pointed in the direction we wanted to go. By some miracle we ended up in the right spot and were able to find our friends.

Garbage beach turned out to be really nice, and I didn't see a single piece of trash in the sand or water. We had a really nice day there, ending with a camp fire and some seafood at a local restaurant.

Our directions
Meeting up outside 7-11
Garbage beach - not so dirty!
Katie, Me, and Kim on the beach at sunset
My roommate Matt let me style his hair before posing for picture.
My roommate Dom after building a rockin fire

No comments:

Post a Comment