Friday 4 December 2009

Death Traps

Last night I subbed at one of the far away schools, which takes about an hour or more to get to by bus. I was walking out after my class, and another teacher offered me a ride home on his scooter. It was very appealing because it would save me a ton of time and effort, so I strapped on my helmet and jumped on the back. I had been on one scooter ride before, but it was nothing like this. The teacher was speeding down the road, passing other scooters, driving between cars, and oh my god it was scary. I have been bungee jumping, I have been sky diving, and this definitely was the most terrifying thing I have done. Again I learned my lesson, I will be taking the bus in the future.

I've now taught a total of 3 classes, and after the first one they have been pretty easy. The younger kids are much more willing to talk to me, and there is a more set lesson plan making my job a breeze. There is always a co-teacher in the room to save me when I don't know what is going on. In every class so far the students have made a joke about how short the co-teacher is next to me, and then ask how tall I am, and are in awe when I answer. Right now I am just subbing other peoples classes, and I will slowly start getting my own. I should eventually have a set schedule of about 20 hours a week.

There is an election today for some local government positions, and every day leading up to it has been a big production. They have little mini parades through the streets of cars and motorcycles with loudspeakers shooting out fireworks as they pass. It's pretty entertaining the first time you see it, but definitely gets old when it wakes you up in the morning.

2 comments:

  1. Ali - There are just some things you DON'T want your mother to read in a blog; riding on a scooter with a maniac is one of them. It reminded me of when you came home from Australia and 5 minutes later said showed me a video of you bungee jumping into nothingness. At least both times I learned about your adventures after the fact so I knew you were OK.

    I knew that teaching would get easier and better as you had more experience. That's cute that the students asked you about your height. Let's just hope they don't ask about your shoe size.

    Looking forward to the next post! And visiting you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Smooze-

    More importantly, when you felt like you were in danger on that scooter did you see/hear Edward Cullen????

    ReplyDelete