Thursday 15 July 2010

Fancy Fish

Last night to celebrate my roommates Asian departure, the entire dorm traveled in a pack to a Japanese restaurant nearby. The restaurant was only a small bar, so to fit all 10 of us we had to help carry out tables and stools to set up camp on the sidewalk. We ordered a ton of food and beer and sat in the street enjoying our treats.


The food was amazing, but today my stomach was a wee bit crazy. I did some googling and found out we were eating a fish called Escolar, aka 'Butterfish', which wikipedia says has 'potential health problems related with consumption of the fish'. I guess this big guy is unable to digest the waxes in its diet, so its skin is up to 25% oil. Although it is delicious because of its buttery fatty flesh, it's probably not the best choice for dinner. It has actually been banned in a few countries including Japan and Italy, so I think in the future I may steer clear.


No comments:

Post a Comment