Sunday 28 February 2010

Lantern Festival

The 15th day of the lunar new year is lantern festival. There are festivals all over the Taiwan mostly consisting of a large collection of handmade lanterns on display. There are however a few more elaborate festivals, ranging from one in Tainan where they shoot fireworks directly at you (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auiIxZgGh_s&feature=related) to the one I went to north of Taipei where they set lanterns off into the sky. The festival was in a town called Pingxi in the mountains, and it was supposed to be about 2 hours by train from where I live. After two legs of train travel we boarded the train in Rueifang ready to head for Pingxi. This is where we first encountered the mob of people we were about to spend the rest of the day with. The train platform was packed, and when the train pulled in there was a full on stampede to board. This was one of those moments I was thankful to be tall and able to breath over the crowd.

Miraculously we were able to get seats on the train, but once it was totally filled with people it then sat still for an entire hour. As we were unable to understand the Chinese announcements I was confused, but there was no way I was moving out of my seat. Finally the train left and after a few stops we pulled into Pingxi. Getting off the train I was forced to follow the crowd even though we were going against the exit signs. It was then that I understood why our train had been unable to move and got my first view of the sky lanterns. People were climbing off the platform and walking along the tracks, and they were setting off fireworks from the train station. There were vendor stalls right up against the tracks where people were buying giant paper lanterns. After writing their wishes on the lanterns, they lit paper money to create a kind of hot air balloon, and then let it off into the sky. If the lantern flies away it is good luck, but if the lantern catches on fire or crashes into something I'm pretty sure you are cursed for the year. One of the first lanterns I saw launched directly into a telephone pole and went up into flames. I was concerned that no one seemed concerned over this.

As we walked along the tracks and then continued on the tiny winding streets we saw the usual street food mixed in with stalls selling these lanterns. At the end of the road we came to a big arena with a stage where they would let off hundreds of the lanterns at a time. It was really beautiful to see them all in the sky, but I'm pretty sure Smokey the bear would not have been happy. In addition to the lanterns there were fireworks from all directions, and a lot of the time I could feel the ash falling on my head. After we checked out the festival we bought our own lantern. There were two young girls running the stall who thankfully showed us how to light the lantern, and it flew off without a hitch!

On the way home we decided to take the shuttle bus, thinking it would be faster. Unfortunately I think every single person at the festival had the same idea, and we ended up waiting in line for over 2 hours to catch a bus back to Taipei.

Sign off the train platform. This rule apparently did not apply.
Lantern stuck on the telephone pole in flames
People letting off a lantern on the train tracks
People on the street decorating their lanterns.
Lanterns in the sky
My wishes for the future. They include a job that makes lots of money, a dog, and lots of travel. And of course some time at the beach.
Giving love luck for the year. Since my lantern did not catch on fire, none of these people need to break up. You can thank me later.
Our lantern before the fire
Our lantern blown up and ready to fly. It was actually really hot to hold onto.

Lanterns being released together

Lanterns in the sky

1 comment:

  1. Great entry! And thanks for the Love Luck. By the way, I am currently rolling on the floor laughing. And, after your train and shuttle bus stories, thanking my lucky stars that we took a tour and, even though we're both very resourceful, didn't have to depend on our Guesstures skills to find our way all around the island. And I'm surprised how big the lanterns actually are - based on the photo in Lonely Planet I imagined them to be smaller. And you can just borrow my dog till you get one of your own.

    ReplyDelete