Friday 27 November 2009

Settling In

I've now been here a little over two days, and it's had been very busy and overwhelming. They have already had me start sitting in on other peoples classes, and on Tuesday I will begin teaching all by myself! They have a system of teaching the lessons so each class follows a similar format. They do a lot of vocab, reading, games, and questions and answers, and it is like a 2 hour episode of ADD with the teachers dancing around the room.

The school is a 'cram' school, somewhere the kids go after they have already completed their full day of regular school. They come twice a week for 2hours at a time, and are also probably attending other cram schools on other nights. Even the kindergarten students study until about 9pm and then leave with homework to finish. They seem a little overworked, demonstrated by my favorite question and answer:

When are you happy?
I am happy when I get a good grade.

We'll see how it goes when I have it all to myself.

I also had to go to the hospital yesterday to get my checkup for my work visa. They took a chest x-ray, checked my vision, took my blood pressure, temperature, height, weight, and waist size (no idea why that is necessary). And then the grand finale was a blood draw. They wanted to do it in the middle of the office at a desk and I obviously was not ok with that. They all acted like they had never seen someone afraid of needles, but let me go into an exam room. I'm used to the US where all doctors offices are so sterile with the plastic beds and the paper cover they move for every patient. Here I was on a bed with a faded floral bed sheet and a towel for me to put my feet on. They all wear face masks to not get H1N1 but don't seem to care about stuff like that. I survived my first blood draw all by myself, but I missed my favorite nurse talking to me about Beyonce punching a bitch. Somethings just can't compare with home.

There was also an election going on yesterday, so there was some weird stuff going on.
Who knew they had cotton candy and corn dogs in taiwan?

Political add. They have these ALL over. Looks like something Stephen Colbert would do.

6 comments:

  1. Ha! I'm first to read this entry. Very interesting, keep 'em coming. I wonder if those overworked kids are typical, or just the kids of especially overachieving parents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Ali, I joined as a follower named Dr. Bill, complete with a picture and all -- but it won't let me post comments as Dr. Bill. Can you give me a hint?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ali - Reading your blog is like following you around from the other side of the world. But not in a stalky way, of course. About the waist measurement, I think they now use a waist-height ratio to determine health. It's that whole apple/pear thing. Interesting, too, about the blood draw. Sounds like you came through it fine, though, no passing out or gushing blood. I'm confident they used a sterile needle...And about that asparagus juice, have you noticed any odd scents in bathrooms??

    ReplyDelete
  4. so i heard Beyonce punched a bitch last night. ok that's a lie, STAR just had best and worst beach bods this week. i miss you. my '6' button is going to get underused in the next year. maybe i will replace you on speed dial. love you

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ali! When you mentioned your waist size measurement, I thought of this article I read recently. It discusses waistline limits in Japan. However, I am not concerned about you meeting the requirements.

    http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/japan/091109/fat-japan-youre-breaking-the-law

    ReplyDelete
  6. The man on the poster looks like he was bending over to fit into the picture. Maybe he wants people to think he is tall so they would vote for him. Speaking of tall have you seen the 6'8" Amazon Eve swimsuit model?

    ReplyDelete