Thursday 7 January 2010

Xai-Hai Temple of the City God in Taipei

Last night after work I ran into another teacher Jarrod and his Taiwanese girlfriend Clare. I was starving, so I went with them for dinner. We decided on congee, although it is usually a breakfast food. Congee is kind of like a mushy rice soup, and I was feeling brave so I ordered the beef and hundred year old egg. The hundred year old egg is an egg that is soaked in a salt solution for a while and then buried in the dirt (or in these days probably wrapped in plastic) for a few weeks, which turns it black and almost see through. They have a strong smell, so the old legend is that they are soaked in horse pee. Mine was cut up and mixed in with the congee, so it didn't have a very strong taste.


I had to go into Taipei today to get my work visa (on Monday I will final be legal!), so Clare decided to come with me and spend a day in the city. It ended up being super helpful having a translator at the embassy, and she even figured out how to save me a trip back to pick it up. It was a nice change from navigating the city on my own with a lack of Chinese. It was raining, so even little things like being able to tell a taxi driver where to go were much appreciated.

Clare showed me one of the oldest temples in Taipei, Xai-Hai Temple of the City God, or better known as the matchmaking temple. It was great because someone from the temple walked us around explaining how to pray and telling us the meaning behind the different statues. For a dollar fifty we purchased 3 incense sticks and paper money to give as an offering. Incense are held while praying because it allows the gods to hear your thoughts.

We started by addressing the god of the sky. I was told to first introduce myself to the god (in my head), giving my name, age, and address. They told me to be specific, so I was sure to include my zip code. We then made a wish, and bowed three times. This was pretty much the ritual at all stops inside. The main focus of the temple was the city god who seems to be a very busy god. He is in charge of protecting the residents of the city, as well as supervising Hades, and 'praising the innocent and punishing the wicked'. The temple also has a statue of the matchmaker, who as you guessed is in charge of finding loooove. The temple claims that in 2008 9,316 couples got married due to the miracles of the matchmaker. They have a special tea you drink to make you more attractive, and then you eat a wedding cookie. If you get engaged after visiting the temple you are supposed to bring wedding cookies for other people to eat, as an offering.

Front of the temple
Clare lighting her incense
Where you say hi to the sky god, and where you leave the incense at the end
I feel prettier already
Wedding cookies
Taiwanese Robin Hood
The Matchmaker
Main Alter at the Temple

1 comment:

  1. Umm...Ali, I hope that tea and cookie don't result in a Taiwanese man falling in love with you. He'd likely be much too short!

    ReplyDelete